Jorge Vala is Research Professor at the Institute of Social Sciences (ICS) – University of Lisbon. At ICS, his research focuses on socio-cognitive processes, namely in the field of social representations and ideologies, social norms and social identities. His current projects articulate these processes with the study of racism and prejudice, immigration issues, political attitudes, social justice, and validation of everyday knowledge.
- Group Processes
- Intergroup Relations
- Political Psychology
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Vala, J., Brito, R., & Lopes, D. (1999). Expressões dos racismos em Portugal [Expressions of Racism in Portugal]. Lisboa: Imprensa de Ciências Sociais.
- Vala, J. (Ed.). (1999). Novos racismos: Perspectivas comparativas [Nem racisms: Comparative perspectives]. Oeiras: Celta.
- Correia, I., Vala, J., & Aguiar, P. (2007). Victim’s innocence, social categorization, and the threat to the belief in a just world. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 43, 31-38.
- Vala, J., Pereira, C., Lima, M. E., & Leyens, J-P. (in press). Intergroup time bias and racialized social relations. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin.
- Pereira, C., Vala, J., & Costa-Lopes, R. (2010). From prejudice to discrimination: The legitimizing role of perceived threat in discrimination against immigrants. European Journal of Social Psychology, 40, 1231-1250.
- Pereira, C., Vala, J., & Leyens, J. P. (2009). From infra-humanization to discrimination: The mediation of symbolic threat needs egalitarian norms. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 45, 336-344.
- Vala, J., Drozda-Senkowska, E., Oberlé, D., Lopes, D., & Silva, P. (2011). Group heterogeneity and social validation of everyday knowledge: The mediating role of perceived group participation. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 14(3), 347-362.
- Vala, J., Garcia-Marques, L., Pereira, M., & Lopes, D. (1998). Validation of polemical social representations: Introducing the intergroup differentiation of homogeneity. Social Science Information, 37, 469-492.
- Vala, J., Lopes, D., & Lima, M. (2008). Black immigrants in Portugal: Luso-tropicalism and prejudice. Journal of Social Issues, 64(2), 287-302.
- Vala, J., Monteiro, M. B., & Leyens, J. P. (1988). Perception of violence as a function of observer's ideology and actor's group membership. British Journal of Social Psychology, 27, 231-237.
- Vala, J., Pereira, C., & Costa-Lopes, R. (2009). Is the attribution of cultural differences to minorities an expression of racial prejudice? International Journal of Psychology, 44(1), 20-28.
- Correia, I., & Vala, J. (2004). Belief in a just world, subjective well-being and trust of young adults. In C. Dalbert & H. Sallay (Eds.), The justice motive in adolescence and young adulthood: Origins and consequences. London: Routledge.
- Vala, J., Lima, M., & Lopes, D. (2004). Social values, prejudice and solidarity in the European Union. In W. Arts & L. Halman (Eds.), European values at the end of the millennium. Leiden: Brill.
- Political Attitudes
- Prejudice and Intergroup Relations
Institute of Social Sciences
University of Lisbon
Avenida Professor Aníbal de Bettencourt, 9
- Phone: (217) 804-700
- Fax: (217) 940-274